Cobalt Housing isn’t looking to take over the world. But by focusing on local communities in North Liverpool, they are able to make a huge difference.
We’re joined by Claire Griffiths, Chief Executive at Cobalt Housing in this episode. Claire was a graduate trainee in the housing sector straight out of university. She has a huge passion for social housing and we discover her journey towards becoming a CEO, and what it was about the industry that pulled her in.
Claire reflects on the last 12 months of her CEO position and offers insights the into skills and attributes that a CEO needs. We look back even further at what has changed since Claire started working in the industry, and why it still feels like a niche sector despite its growth.
Cobalt is a committed, community-based housing association that hires value-driven teams. We speak about how they hire for these values, and how the pandemic has made leaders more human. Claire shares insights into how the landscape has changed in Merseyside over the last few years and how political and social changes have affected the housing market in North Liverpool.
We also get insights into the deal with Lovell, as well as Cobalt’s new corporate plan and its key strategic aims. Cobalt speaks about their intentions to level up their digital offering and we touch on the positives that can be taken from waiting before taking that leap. Finally, we find out Claire’s views on how we can make the sector more appealing to the next generation.
In this episode, we cover:
- Claire’s reflection on the last 12 months as Chief Executive.
- Claire’s lifechanging experiences working overseas with international homeless organisations.
- What it takes to be a CEO.
- The importance of building a collaborative team.
- Cobalt Housing’s position in the market today.
- How the pandemic made leaders more human.
- How the landscape has changed in Merseyside over the last few years.
- How to manage the priorities of the requirements of the sector today.
- The deal between Cobalt and Lovell.
- The new corporate plan and its key strategic aims.
- Cobalt’s digital plans and why not being first might not be the worst thing.
- How do we make the sector more appealing for the next generation?